A tribute to Dr. Martial G. Bourassa
FoundationHome > Blog > A tribute to Dr. Martial G. Bourassa
This article is adapted from the Foundation’s magazine
The Foundation decided to honour one of Quebec’s most pioneering cardiologists by creating the Martial G. Bourassa Cardiovascular Medicine Innovation Fund last August. Thanks to your generosity, we’ve raised $27,500 in one year. This amount will be used to support innovative, promising projects in the fight against the world’s leading cause of death.
July 2020 saw the passing of Dr. Martial G. Bourassa. Officer of the Order of Canada and Knight of the National Order of Quebec, Dr. Bourassa is recognized as a cardiology pioneer in Quebec.
“The Montreal Heart Institute is profoundly indebted to Dr. Bourassa, both for its reputation and for the inspiration he has provided to several generations of researchers,” said Mélanie La Couture, President and CEO of the MHI.
Dr. Bourassa was the first director of the MHI Research Centre and the catalyst behind many major discoveries in cardiology on the world stage. One of his greatest achievements was undoubtedly the invention of the Bourassa catheter, used in North America and Europe, and he also published no fewer than 80 chapters in books and monographs, 425 original articles and 260 scientific abstracts.
To honour his legacy in the field of cardiology, the Montreal Heart Institute Foundation established the Martial G. Bourassa Cardiovascular Medicine Innovation Fund.
This fund will support the most innovative and promising projects in cardiovascular medicine aimed at fighting the diseases that are the number one killer in the world. For more than 20 years, the Foundation has awarded the Prix Martial G. Bourassa to young researchers in recognition of their active contribution to science.
For Alain Gignac, President and CEO of the MHI Foundation, “Dr. Bourassa embodies our vision of innovation, and it is as a tribute to him that we are naming this new fund, which will benefit local people and businesses and help improve our patients’ quality of life.”
Dr. Bourassa’s exceptional contribution to cardiovascular medicine is undeniable. Thanks to this fund, his work will continue, achieving breakthroughs that will allow us to save more lives.
From all of us at the Foundation, thank you.donate today
Honours and awards bestowed upon Dr. Bourassa throughout his career
- 1973: Prix Jean Lenègre, Fondation Claude-Adolphe Nativelle, Paris, France
- 1981: Prix d’excellence, Association des médecins de langue française du Canada
- 1986: Grand prix de la francophonie, Académie Française, Paris, France
- 1992: Research Achievement Award, Canadian Cardiovascular Society
- 1992: Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada
- 1993: Officer of the Order of Canada
- 1993: 150th Anniversary Medal, Faculty of Medicine, Université de Montréal
- 1997: Paul David Award, Research Fund, Montreal Heart Institute
- 1999: Knight of the National Order of Quebec
- 2000: Professor Emeritus, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Université de Montréal
- 2000: Prix Michel-Sarrazin, Club de Recherches Cliniques du Québec
- 2001: Medal of Merit, International Society for Heart Research
- 2002: Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal, Governor General of Canada
- 2004: Cardiologue Émérite 2004, Association des cardiologues du Québec
- 2005: Career Medal, Faculty of Medicine, Université de Montréal